Lifestyle

pLENTy of alcohol

Guess what today is? WINE WEDNESDAY! Guess who’s not participating in it? ME! Guess what else today is? FIRST DAY OF LENT! Guess who’s giving up alcohol? ME! Yes, yes, you read that correctly, and no I’m not in the middle of a mental breakdown. Although I might be in a week or so. Today will be the first day of 40 days and 40 nights with no beer, wine, vodka, whiskey, rum, Smirnoff, moonshine or four lokos. I can already feel my liver rejoicing. Oh man! I completely forgot that today is also my 2 year anniversary with the boyfran. Clearly the fact that I’m giving up alcohol is overshadowing any type of anniversary news. Boo, we can’t even toast with a glass of champagne. Pfft, who am I kidding. Our “toast” would have consisted of chugging a lonestar light and then smashing the can on our head. WORLDSTAR!

My reason for giving up alcohol does not have to do solely on the fact that it’s lent. I’m doing this for personal reasons. In fact, it was a couple of weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to hop off the ole booze train. In an ideal world I would have started this no alcohol phase right then and there, but I knew lent was coming up so I decided to wait. Ok, that’s a lie. I decided to wait because I already had plans for the following weekends that involved drinking and I didn’t want to cancel them, or even worse…be sober for them. Mat has no affiliation with any religion and he likes his alcohol just as much as I do, if not more, but he has agreed to give up alcohol as well. Let me add that Alexa has chosen to give up Takis. If you don’t know what those are, they’re basically Mexico’s hot cheetos. My chances of making it the entire 40 days with no alcohol are probably about 80%. His chances on the other hand are at a low 20%.This man has a special connection with craft beer, cheap beer, hot beer, cold beer, half drank beer, MY beer and opened and left in the fridge for a couple of days beer. He does not discriminate. And for Alexa…ha I give her 3 days

para_edited.jpg

-We even drink alcohol out of zip lock bags. Go try these ‘fun bags’ from Paramour–

Reason #1: Weight. I’m wanting to lose a couple of pounds before my birthday in May. I eat fairly good and work out 3-4 times a week but its the calories from beer and wine that get me. I try not to drink at all during the week, but it doesn’t make it easy when your boyfriend shows up at home with wine in one hand and beer in the other. It’s both a curse and a blessing when I open the fridge and there’s a brand new unopened Sauvignon blanc in there staring back at me. That’s my wine of choice by the way. Once it’s opened, forget it. It’s impossible to have just ONE glass of wine. One glass leads to 2 and 2 leads to the whole bottle. One bottle of wine contains around 600 calories. Do you know how many miles I need to run to burn that off? 6! Running 6 miles in a day is impossible, but drinking 6 beers…now that’s something I can do.

DSC_0265 (2).jpg-My current favorite beer-

Reason #2: Hangovers. There’s nothing worse than waking up feeling like someone is slamming your head into a wall. The second you open your eyes and see sunlight, it feels like shards of glass are piercing through them. Then the nausea kicks in, and the taste of alcohol in your mouth makes you want to vomit. You chug 2 bottles of water and take 4 ibuprofen and go back to sleep and pray that when you wake up again you’ll feel less suicidal. I would rather be stuck in a room with the cash me outside girl than have a hang over. Actually, no, I take that back. That girl is like a 24/7 hangover that never goes away. On weekends that Alexa goes with her dad, I schedule my workout class early in the morning, but lately I’ve been missing or cancelling them because I feel like complete crap from the night before. I swear these hangovers are getting worse the older I get. I can’t be missing my weekend workouts! Exercising makes you feel good…well so does alcohol, but exercise will never make you text your ex, nor will it make you eat an entire pepperoni pizza by yourself. I’m pizza guilty.

img_61401

-Cheers to us making it these 40 days-

Reason #3: Money. This is probably my boyfriends favorite reason. Think about a night out in good ole San Antonio. You start off with vodka water with a lime, and then take a shot or two. You start feeling good then take some more shots. Fireball. Pickle shot. Starfucker. Vegas bombs. Chilled Patron. Now you’re buying a shot for the awesome drunk girl you just met in the bathroom who complimented your shoes. And don’t forget about the shot you bought for the person wearing the cowboys jersey because you feel sorry for them. By the end of the night you’re $75+ down. We go out probably 2-3 times a month. At $75 a pop, that’s up to $225 a month we’re spending on alcohol. That’s a brand new pair of shoes for Alexa, Mat AND I. That’s $225 that could be going towards my vacation in the Maldives. One month of not going out could pay for the Botox I want for my forehead.

Yes, it’s going to suck not being able to celebrate St. Patrick’s day. Who doesn’t like drinking green beer and celebrating the Irish? And yes it’s going to suck that I wont be able to drink a margarita after I finish the “margarita madness 5k” and yesss it’s going to suck even more that I’m meeting up with my friends this Saturday and water will be the only thing I’ll be able to order while I watch them sip on a delicious ice cold beer. As of right now,  I’m 19 hours into this 40 day journey and so far so good. I haven’t had a drop of alcohol and I haven’t even had any withdrawal symptoms yet. 941 more hours to go. Nine…hundred…forty…one…I just took a deep breath in. Good bye bars, good bye happy hour, good bye weekend day drinking. See y’all on the other side…just in time for San Antonio’s FIESTAAAAA! Aye aye!

 

alcohol-Actual pic of our last drinks that we had last night. RIP.-

arrow1

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s